Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Cuban Kid's Hunger

A Cuban Kid's Hunger
September 27, 2011
Rosa Martinez

HAVANA TIMES, Sept. 27 — Around 9 o'clock last night, while I was
passionately reading an autobiography, my youngest daughter interrupted
me. With the face of a good little girl, she announced: "Mummy, I'm
hungry."

"Hungry?" I asked surprised, since coincidentally that night she had
eaten a full supper with nothing left on the plate.

"Yes, I'm really hungry," she said with a frown.

"Okay, let's see… hungry for what? What do you want to eat?" I asked.

"Some cookies, I want some cookies."

"No, we don't have any."

"And ice cream – isn't there any ice cream?"

"No, there's no ice cream either."

"A little piece of chocolate?"

"No, honey, there's no chocolate either," I told her sadly.

"But there's some packaged ham, I saw it."

"No, it's gone. Your sister ate the last piece."

"So, what is there, then?" she asked, annoyed.

"Milk, there's some warm milk. Would you like a little? It's delicious,
it's got anise in it."

"Milk? No, I don't want any milk. Maybe you better give me a book to
read instead."

"A book?" I exclaimed, taken aback.

"Yes, a book. That will surely bore me and take away my appetite."

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=51713

No comments:

Post a Comment